Sunday, December 20, 2009

Argentine Evening!







As you may or may not know, I am an avid fan of FC Barcelona. Saturday was their crowning feat of a storied season. Barca won the FIFA World Club Cup, capping a six trophy season. Something that has never happened before, and may never happen again. They beat Estudiantes from La Plata Argentina. And in honor of the win, and in no small part at the request of our best friends who were over for dinner, we prepared a small parrillada. There was good food; chorizo, vacillo angus, chicken (my wife doesn't eat red meat). And there was some pretty good wine.

The first wine we drank was a Malbec from Alamos. The Big boys say: "A soft mouthfeel with sweet black raspberry and cassis fruit flavors layered with hints of coffee, chocolate and spice. Concludes with a long lingering finish with ripe velvety tannins."
I say it was great! It was light, but held up really well to the appetizers. Unfortunately I only had one bottle left!

We stayed with Malbec, but this one was from Casona Lopez 2003. This one did not hold up so well. It was a bid "oaky" (the term given by my friend Michelle). The food overpowered the wine. It wasn't a great compliment to the vacio. Quickly instead of opening another bottle of Casona Lopez, I went to my backup: Geyser Peak Alexander Valley Cab.
I know. It's not Argentinian. Perhaps I broke protocol. But then, I don't really follow protocol when it comes to wine.

When in doubt, go Geyser Peak. This is an intense wine. Not very spicy, but has a nice kick, that lasts throughout. Officially: The palate is rich, round and lush, seamlessly pairing the cherry and berry fruit with a hint of spice and vanilla. The fine-grained tannins meld into a persistent, lingering finish.

All in all, it was a great night with great friends. Hope to do it again soon.

Stay tuned for my NOCHE BUENA Wine Picks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment