Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Las Rocas de San Alejandro



Sorry I haven't posted anything in a couple of days. Anyways here goes.
This is my last installment for a little while on Spanish wines. But in my opinion, I saved the best for last. It is:
Las Rocas de San Alejandro - Garnacha from Calatayud. I found this wine several years ago and like usual, the
label is what caught my eye. I had never heard of Garnacha. At the time I was only drinking Tempranillo. I bought
one bottle, to check it out. The color is a very dark ruby. It has a very pure flavor, and does not leave an aftertaste. The official reviews say it has an "aroma of spice box, mineral, cherry and black rasberry". I have no fucking idea what a spice box smell like.
Sounds like something the Vietnamese chick in "Full Metal Jacket" would say. Whatever. I loved the wine. I went back and bought several bottles. I found out later that Robert Parker reviewed the wine as the best wine for the price.
Try the wine. I think you will really like it. And again, you will really like the price. The 2007 is going for around $11.00.
If you can get your hands on a 2001 or 2002 grab it, grab them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment